Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bibi's vision of Pakistan

I learnt many things from martyred Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto in my life that made me what I
am today. I became computer literate because of her. I will never forget the day in June 1997 when I was rushed to Rawalpindi's Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology from Adyala Jail in a precarious condition. Bibi (as I addressed in deference and profound affection) sought special permission from the hospital commandant to see me. Besides three books she brought a laptop - my first ever. And handing it over she caringly remarked: "I am appalled by your health condition. Inshalllah you will soon recover and be a freeman as well. You are a Capricorn and I know what they are made of." By the luckiest stroke of fate for me Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and I share the same birthday (January 5).Bibi spent nearly two hours in the hospital. We talked about many things including the then political situation. One of her remarks was rather pertinent. "Soon both will dig their own graves and rest in peace." Looking retrospectively events later proved her prophetically correct. One of the three books that she gave me was Thucydides' book on history. "I want you to read it. I hope some day you will write history of Pakistan as you have seen it made." She also wanted me to write a book about great women that I met during my long career as a journalist.

My computer - ever since then - has become most essential part of my life. As far as she was concerned she was not only workaholic but computer addict as well. She virtually organised, ran and monitored PPP through internet. She would get the most classified information from the party workers spread in the nook and corner of Pakistan and who were given access to her email address. She would be informed by her "eyes and ears" who in the party was doing what. Whenever her party people would converge in London, Dubai or elsewhere to meet her - she would just drop a hint or two - to let them know she knew what the butler saw.I don't know if there is any other politician in the world who used computer and internet as much as she did. She would draft hundreds of letters and statements in a week to be passed to her office in Islamabad - to be issued in the name of this or that office-bearer, leader or worker - to sustain pressure on the dictator, to rebut promptly any misleading or incorrect news, to campaign and lobby internationally to mobilise pro-democratic forces to come to the aid of people of the Pakistan struggling for their inalienable right to elect a government of their choice by their vote.Even in very personal emails too she used to reiterate her commitment to revert Pakistan to the vision of Quaid-i-Azam and Quaid-i-Awam, to the empowerment of the people as sole arbiter of power and equal citizens - irrespective of their caste, creed or colour. Her vision of Pakistan was that of a nation-state with maximum provincial autonomy to the federating units.

She was profoundly concerned about the growing religious extremism in Pakistan. And she had pledged her life to save Pakistan from falling in the clutches of Taliban. Had General Pervez Musharraf listened to her advice following the terrorist attack on the Indian Parliament in 2001 in Delhi when she pleaded with him to distance himself from the jihadi groups, Pakistan today would not have been pushed to such a tragic pass and cornered by the Indian coercive diplomacy despite its genuine innocence vis-à-vis Mumbai terrorist attack - as upheld by the Director General of the Interpol who declared that India had neither provided any evidence of Pakistan's complicity in it nor has it given any proof about the sole terrorist held by it of having come from Pakistan. There is lot of weight in the observation of independent analysts that Delhi has been using its recently acquired strategic partnership with Washington for blackmailing Pakistan.Reproduced below is an email from Bibi from Dubai dated January 2, 2006 in response to my New Year greetings. Its relevance today is because of its contents that show how confident she was that return of democracy in Pakistan was around the corner. Alas Pakistan has today a formidable democracy led by President Asif Ali Zardari as the torch bearer of her glorious legacy but when the country needed her most she is not."Dear Wajid Bhai, Thank you for your New Year message. It is amazing how yet another year has passed by. It seems only yesterday that I was filled with happiness because Asif had joined us for the New Year and we took the children out for lunch...Time goes by so fast. But by the Grace of Allah, we have all been able to survive the tests of life. I feel in my bones that now the time is coming where the people will get their democratic rights and we can once again begin the journey that can help us build a constitutional system guaranteeing human dignity and protecting the weak and the endangered. I am thinking of contesting the Senate elections but have not yet made up my mind. The people I talk to within the Party and without are both divided on whether it is a good move. I still have a little time to reflect on it....Meantime our entire top rank of the Party has been wiped out in the Senate elections. I did ask them to lobby for a system where in so far as possible each party lost proportionately the same numbers. However, they felt they had better chances in the general draw and I suppose now live with the consequences....May God bless you and may we enter 2006 on a wave of success that leads to the restoration of constitutionalism, federalism, democracy, provincial autonomy and peoples rights. - Bibi"The writer is serving as Pakistan's High Commissioner to UK.

No comments: